Why would an assessment be helpful?
Assessments are used to discover answers related to an individual’s academic, social, emotional, and behavioral difficulties. They also provide recommendations to support and assist the individual participating in the assessment.
What is the process to have myself or my child evaluated?
- Contact us
- A phone, in-person, or zoom meeting will be scheduled to discuss your concerns about your child’s intellectual, academic, social and behavioral/emotional functioning.
- If it is determined you or your child would benefit from our assessment services, specific recommendations for evaluation will be discussed.
- Appointments are scheduled
How much time will the assessment process take?
- The amount of time varies from one individual to the next. Variables include the age of the individual, the types of assessments that will be used, and the stamina of each person.
- We believe the best way to obtain optimal results includes ensuring the individual is comfortable, engaged, and enjoying the process.
- Assessment appointments are generally scheduled for a maximum of 4 hours per session. Breaks are taken on an as needed basis.
- Following the first session, if needed subsequent appointments will be scheduled.
What days and times are available for assessment appointments?
- Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Evening appointments may be available
- Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
The individual being evaluated takes medication on a daily basis. Should they take it before the assessment?
- It is advised that all medication taken on a daily basis is also taken on days the individual will be participating in the evaluation process.
- If the individual is taking medication to assist with the ability to maintain focus and attention and there is a question about whether or not it is effective, it may be possible to assess with and without medication.
The individual being evaluated has had an evaluation in the past. Do you need to see it?
- It is best to provide us with copies of all prior assessments and evaluations for the following reasons:
- We can bring all prior results into our report. This enables schools, clinicians, physicians, etc. to have one document that provides all of the information they need for treatment planning, support, and services.
- It helps identify a pattern of progress over time
- We are able to determine what assessments would be beneficial
How do you provide me with the results of an evaluation?
- Results will be available within 2 weeks of the completion of all assessments
- We will meet with you to review the results and recommendations. At that time, you will receive 2 copies of the written report.
- If the assessment was for a child, after meeting with the parent(s)/guardians) to review results, we like to meet with the child and parents together to provide developmentally appropriate feedback to the child. It’s important for the child to understand their strengths and discover how to use their strengths to help with any difficulties they may be experiencing.
Who will have access to the results of the evaluation?
Assessment results are confidential and cannot be provided to anyone without your written authorization to share them with individuals.